News & Views

Legal aid for carnage victim kin

NGO’s move on first anniversary of Khagrabari massacre

Guwahati, May 3: An NGO, Jhai Foundation, has said it would provide legal assistance to the victims and their families of Khagrabari massacre in Baksa district.

Forty-one people lost their lives and several others injured in the massacre under Gobordhana police station on May 2 last year. The incident completed one year yesterday.

The National Investigation Agency (NIA), which probed the incident, said in its chargesheet that four persons – Rojen Boro, Jayanta Boro, Nijwm Basumatary and Mallajit Kherkatary – were involved in the incident “in connivance with other armed terrorists suspected to be the member of NDFB (S) with an intent to strike terror in the mind of the local villagers belonging to Muslim community”. The chargesheet said the accused joined hands with suspected NDFB (S) cadres and formed a 30 to 40-member armed group, which took part in the massacre of men, women and children in the village.

The foundation in its report – One Year of Khagrabari Massacre: Quest for Justice Continues – published on the completion of one year of the massacre, promised support to the families of the victims.

The case is going on in an NIA court.

The foundation said it would continue its support to the victims of Khagrabari massacre under the leadership of its executive member Aman Wadud, an advocate, and in collaboration with Peace and Equity Cell, an organisation formed by legal activist and author Prita Rani Jha who has a history of working with the victims of communal violence in Gujarat.

The report was released yesterday at a programme organised by the foundation near the massacre site.

“Jhai Foundation is committed to support the victims of Khagrabari massacre to get the justice as well as it will endeavour to assist the victims of targeted violence from the marginalised communities like Bodos, Muslims, Adivasi, Karbis in coming days,” said the report.

The secretary of the foundation, Abdul Kalam Azad, said the villagers whose houses were set on fire were still living in tents. “After the incident, chief minister Tarun Gogoi visited the village and promised to rebuild the houses under Indira Awaas Yojana. The promise has not been fulfilled yet,” he said.

Azad said the Assam government and the Centre released compensation of Rs 5 lakh and Rs 3 lakh respectively to the families of the vicitims.

“But no compensation has been released against the persons who went missing in the massacre. Similarly, there has been no compensation for the six injured. One of them, a child, received grievous injuries and his family members incurred loss of Rs 6 lakh in his treatment,” he said.

 

Source: The Telegraph

Leave a Reply